Saturday, June 16, 2012

Dear New Coworker, Plz don't quit. I'm tired of training people. Love, Stephanie.

I'm in a small department at work; we're allocated 1.5 stockers per day. We aren't budgeted for overtime, so I have to have a coworker for my days off (and so we can do other tasks on days when there are two of us).  Which means, basically, my new coworker got to throw trucks on his own the last two days, since we get trucks every day.  That's two weeks in--  pretty sharp learning curve. 

Things which make a stocker "good" at stocking in my department:
  • Physical fitness- core strength, basic endurance, and agility. 
  • Being detail oriented, basically to a OCD level.
  • Flexibility-  adjusting on the fly to late trucks, big trucks, and daily shifts in product mix; able to prioritize well.
  • Dexterity-  for the hundreds of tiny things on pushers and pegs.  (AKA, tenured stockers are better.  You don't get this any other way really.)
  • Not being an asshole- because I hate dealing with little girls.


Things which I think my manager hires based on:
  • Good work ethic
  • Friendly, will not creep me out, good learner who takes instruction well.
  • Someone who can lift the things we have to lift--  either a dude or a strong chick.
  • Passing their drug test.
Yeah.

New guy has it rough.  He's obviously doing as well as a new person could, and staying upbeat and stuff.  But the fact is, developing dexterity and Learning Where Thousands Of Items Go takes awhile.  NO ONE could be at 100% speed in two weeks.

I hope he doesn't get scared off.  Mostly cuz then I'd be at 5 coworkers in a year.  And I LOVE meeting new people, but they should all be hired in grocery, so I don't have to train them.  They also should all be hot guys.  I'm just saying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment