Saturday, June 9, 2012

subthreshold days...

I'm getting back into gymnastic work.  This is one of my favorite training methods, because it involves so many aspects of fitness:  balance, agility, momentum, core/upper/lower strength and power, and flexibility.  It's also unbelievably fun, and a great solo-training style.  In this post I'm just gonna run down my basic subthreshold-level workout mix.  It's very "on-the-fly," because I train in varied circumstances--  depletion, length, location (available equipment and surfacing) and which I feel like training vary day-to-day. 

There are three parts to this workout style:  prep/warmup, training, and postwork. 


The preparation and warmup is first.  I'll do the foam-roller and a few asanas to warm up.  I mostly focus on my back with the foam roller (because of my job- i lose rotational flexibility verrry rapidly from tightness if I don't do this a couple days a week).  Whatever is sore from my last few days, I'll focus on also--  if I did power work, it'll be IT bands; if I ran hills it'll be shins and calves; if I was doing sporty stuff or cross-training it's usually forearms and shoulders and tri's; regular running will have me focusing on glutes and calves.  If I feel like training at the park, I'll walk or jog there.  My stretching/warmup will vary between 15-40 minutes.  Sometimes I'll go up to an hour, but most of that time is foam-rolling, which is like massage for your body, great for recovery.  I do a minimal amount of static stretching at this point...  If I overdo static stretching, then I'll be overly sore the next day.  If I underdo static stretching, I won't be flexible enough to do anything in the second segment of the workout.  Throughout the "training" section of the workout, I'll take brief sections to restretch out my legs as needed.  I really like yoga poses like standing splits, triangle, and runner stretches through the workout as needed to loosen hamstrings.  You can't do any gymnastic work without leg flexibility, so gymnastic training is a good motivator not to blow off stretching. 

Next, I go into training for the day.  I always have goals I'm going for in mind--  longer and shorter term goals.  Right now, my short-term goal is one-handed handstands (for two seconds!  i'm not some hardcore person!) off powerstands or parallel bars, depending where I'm training.  My longer-term goal right now is to get consistent front walkovers with both legs able to lead.  (I have more longer term goals-  redeveloping back flexibility and tricep/shoulder/forearm strength, and specific stupid human tricks.)  Whatever the goals are at the time, though, I concentrate on basics.  I'll throw handstands, cartwheels, roundoffs, bridges, attempt kicking over and going into and out of bridges from standing, rolls out of falls, rolls from handstands and focus on center of gravity and momentum.  I do some off the floor, some off powerstands, sometimes I work off these bars at one of the parks near here (they have a great set, all different kinds), sometimes I work in the sand court at the other park near here, I use walls or chairs or trees to assist a lot, I vary the leading leg, etc etc.  I'm focusing on momentum and center of gravity in these; the second leg off the floor is your Source of Power in most gymnastic work, and I'm focusing on control of the momentum I get from that. Other things I might do will depend where I am-  if I have a narrow vertical bar, I'll try human flag stretching; if I'm at the park with the legit bars I'll practice vaults.  This will be between twenty minutes up to an hour and a half, depending how depleted I am at the time.  Once I'm completely warm, I'll throw a few walkovers or do vaults.  Once I start falling out of them excessively/uncontrollably or unable to vault with power, I'm done. I'll go back to a few basics to cool out and call it a day.

Postwork is mellow, I'll walk home.  Or take a break, then run later.  Or whatever. 

4 comments:

  1. Walkovers-awesomeness! I prolly shouldn't try this on tile, though.

    Off to put kids to sleep and figure out where is carpeted open space...

    ReplyDelete
  2. my walkovers are terrible-- i land maybe 10%--, but i'm seeing progress, which is the main thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried a handstand lasted night...too funny. Fell everywhere.
    The only human tricks I still practice involve being firmly grounded (splits, bridges, swan pose, etc.)
    So let the practice commence!

    ReplyDelete